Who is Laura to you? The following is not a complete list of relatives/descendants, but if you recognize any of these names, it may help you answer that question.
- Mother of Doris Jane Moore.
- Grandmother of Joyce, Dan, Gloria, Mike, Valerie, and Teresa.
- Great grandmother to Kelly Jean, David Michael, David Daniel, Steven Michael, Gina Joy, Kristen Marie, Bradley Jay, Joseph Michael, Matthew Allen, Daniel Scott, Jennifer Lynn, Jaysson Solomon-Elijah, Job Gabriel-Elisha, and Sarah Kaylynn.
- 2nd great grandmother to Kari Nikole, Kali Ryann, Brett Mikalary, Samantha Marie, Spencer Jay, Megan Armenia, Dominic Daniel, Tristen Jay, Zachary Todd, Kayla, and 20+ young folks.
- 3rd great grandmother to other young folks.
When Laura was born, she already had several siblings:
- Wellington Joseph Kahley age about 19;
- An unknown sister, born 1894, deceased;
- Lottie Ellen Kahley age about 16;
- Carrie Warren Kahley age about 12;
- Mary E. Kahley age about 9;
- Theodore Olin Plin Kahley age about 6; [Admin: Check name.]
- Ray Allen Kahley age about 4;
- Alta Kahley, born about 1910, deceased;
Laura was 3 when brother Willis Franklin Kahley joined the family in 1915.
On January 5, 1920 it was reported that Laura (Census-Name: Laura L. Kahley), 7 years of age, was born in Ohio and currently lived in a rental in Pleasant, Hardin, Ohio. Her mother and father were both born in Ohio. She lived in a household of 6. Based on the age given to the census official, her birth year is 1912/1913.Source: 1920 Census [1920-US-Census-Ohio-Hardin-Pleasant, District 104, Sheet 2B]
On April 8, 1930 it was reported that Laura (Census-Name: Laura L. Kahley), 17 years of age, was born in Ohio and currently lived in a $10/month rental home, with a radio, in Kenton, Hardin, Ohio. Her mother and father were both born in Ohio. She lived in a household of 4, and worked as a “laborer at a hardware plant”. Laura was able to read/write and speak English. Laura was currently not attending school. Based on the age given to the census official, her birth year is 1912/1913.Source: 1930 Census [1930-US-Census-Ohio-Hardin-Kenton, District 33-7, Sheet 4B]
Their first and only child was born in January of 1931, when Laura was 18 years old:
Laura’s brother Theodore died on September 24, 1939.
On April 9, 1940 it was reported that Laura (Census-Name: Laura Moore), 28 years of age, was born in Ohio and currently lived in a $5/month rental (farm) in Marseilles, Wyandot, Ohio. This is the same place she lived five years prior. She lived in a household of 3, was married, and did not work outside the home/farm. Laura had completed grade 8, and had not recently been in school. Based on the age given to the census official, her birth year is 1911/1912.Source: 1940 Census [1940-US-Census-Ohio-Wyandot-Marseilles, District 88-12, Sheet 2B]
Laura’s brother Ray died on June 12, 1943.
Laura lost her father, William Jacob Kahley, in May of 1946.
On November 1, 1952, Roy and Laura moved from Ohio to Palm Beach County, Florida. [Source: Divorce Complaint, Section Three.]
On December 16, 1952, Roy and Laura secured a mortgage from Martin and Myrtle Pavlic for $7,500 on a bar in Florida. The “Satisfaction of Mortgage” for that property – Lots 51-53 of Tropical Terrace, Hypoluxo, Florida [Palm Beach County, Lake Worth area], was recorded on August 9, 1956. At that time, Roy’s address was Route #2 Box 686, Lake Worth, Florida.
On March 26, 1957, Roy and Laura sold their bar to Clayton M. and Mary Jane Johnsen for $18,500.
Roy and Laura separated On April 16, 1957, and Roy filed for divorce on April 19, 1957. Their divorce was official on June 18, 1957.
A “Police Identification Card” was issued to Laura by the Palm Beach Police Department — the card has a February 1963 expiration date, but no date issued. It says Laura was employed at Poray Apts., and lived at Route #2 Box 74 A, Lake Worth, Fla. It describes her as 5′-3″ tall, 190 pounds, gray hair, and brown eyes.
Laura lost two sisters in 1964: Mary on September 2, and Lottie on October 7.
Laura’s youngest brother Willis passed away on May 17, 1965, and her oldest brother Wellington died the next year on November 28, 1966.
Laura passed away in Palm Beach, Florida, USA on Thursday, August 28, 1975 at the age of 63. Cause of death is listed as cirrhosis of the liver due to chronic alcoholism.