Children of Daniel and Hannah include:
- Lillian Francis Arnold 1875–1946 (71)
- Bert Daniel Arnold 1879–1922 (43)
- Daisy Mae Arnold 1883–1952 (69)
- Daniel Simon Arnold 1890–1974 (83)
- Lottie Mildred Arnold 1897–1918 (21)
Daniel and Hannah bought 40 acres of land on Fowler Road in Platte Township from J. M. & M. E. Thurston for $50 in December of 1900. Terms of the indenture/mortgage specified $25 to be paid after one year, and $25 to be paid after two years. Interest rate of seven percent per annum. The land was described as the SE 1/4 of the SW 1/4 of Section 9 of T27N R14W.
We have a plat map of this area from 1915. By then, this parcel was split into three pieces. Daniel Webster retained the easternmost 20, the westernmost 10 was sold off, and Daniel Simon owned the middle 10. Daniel Simon later owned the full 30, and then sold the westernmost 10 of that. What his grandchildren remember as the “Arnold Homestead” (11434 Fowler Road) is within the easternmost half of Daniel Webster’s original 40 acres.
The property description for the current owner (as of 2021) is E 1/2 OF SE 1/4 OF SW 1/4 EXC W 132 FT OF S 330 FT & E 264 FT OF S 330 FT SEC 9 T27N R14W. As you can see from the bolded portion of this description, it starts out with the easternmost half of Daniel Webster’s original 40 acres. The remainder of the description carves out a couple of roadside lot exclusions – leaving 16.7 of the 20 acres.
In case you’re curious, the T27N R14W in the property description refers to a survey township – a six by six square mile area, not to be confused with a civil township such as Platte, though they often coincide. In this case, the 27th survey township north of the state baseline and the 14th west of the state meridian line. The Michigan baseline is a line that extends East/West along the southern border of Ingham county, and the meridian extends North/South through the center of Ingham county.
Who is Daniel to you?
- Father of Daniel Simon Arnold.
- Grandfather of Laban Daniel Arnold and Alvin Ernest Arnold.
- Great grandfather of Joyce, Dan, Gloria, Mike, Valerie, Teresa, Sally, Carol, and Roger.
- 2nd great grandfather to Kelly Jean, David Michael, David Daniel, Steven Michael, Gina Joy, Kristen Marie, Bradley Jay, Joseph Michael, Mathew Allen, Daniel Scott, Jennifer Lynn, Jaysson Solomon-Elijah, Job Gabriel-Elisha, Sarah Kaylynn, Kandy Kay, Randy William, Scott Anthony, Joy Ann, Beth Ann, and Anne Marie.
- 3nd great grandfather to Danielle Rose, Dutch Reese, William Henry, Nolan Anthony, Nickolas Anthony, Sydney Kay, Wyatt Anthony, Kari Nikole, Kali Ryann, Brett Mikalary, Samantha Marie, Spencer Jay, Megan Armenia, Dominic Daniel, Tristen Jay, Zachary Todd, and ADK, AJC, ARC, BMP, CJS, CMA, DLA, DMA, EGS, ELO, GAL, JRC, KARM, KC, LVA, MMA, NKK, RJR, SJA, TDR, TJM, WAS.
- 4th great grandfather to DK and MJK.
Daniel passed away of “myocarditis (unreadable) with contributory nephritis” in Platte Township, Benzie County, Michigan on Thursday, July 5, 1928 at the age of 79. He was buried in Platte cemetery on July 8, 1928.
Daniel is listed on his death certificate as Daniel Webster Arnold, a white, male, widower, farmer, from Indiana, born to Daniel Arnold of Pennsylvania, and Susan Suttles of Pennsylvania; informed by Daniel Arnold, Jr. of Honor, MI.
From the local newspaper:
Daniel W. Arnold age 75 died last Thursday, July 5th at his home in Platte Township. Funeral services were held Sunday afternoon at 2 o’clock from the home and interment at Platte cemetery with Rev Mr. Merriman officiating.
Two daughters, Mrs. Joe Harwood of Platte, and Mrs. Prouse [sic, Krause] of Iron Mountain and one son, Daniel Arnold, Jr. and one brother of Blaine township survive Mr. Arnold.Benzie Record, Daniel W. Arnold