Who is Leo to you? The following is not a complete list of relatives/descendants, but if you recognize any of these names, it may help you answer that question.
- Brother of Tracie M. Balitz.
- Uncle of Laban Daniel Arnold and Alvin Ernest Arnold.
- Great uncle of Joyce, Dan, Gloria, Mike, Valerie, Teresa, Sally, Carol, and Roger.
- 2nd great uncle to Kelly Jean, David Michael, David Daniel, Steven Michael, Gina Joy, Kristen Marie, Bradley Jay, Joseph Michael, Matthew Allen, Daniel Scott, Jennifer Lynn, Jaysson Solomon-Elijah, Job Gabriel-Elisha, Sarah Kaylynn, Kandy Kay, Randy William, Scott Anthony, Joy Ann, Beth Ann, and Anne Marie.
- 3rd great uncle to Danielle Rose, Dutch Reese, William Henry, Nolan Anthony, Nickolas Anthony, Sydney Kay, Wyatt Anthony, Kari Nikole, Kali Ryann, Brett Mikalary, Samantha Marie, Spencer Jay, Megan Armenia, Dominic Daniel, Tristen Jay, Zachary Todd, Kayla, and 20+ young folks.
- 4th great uncle to other young folks.
Leo never married.
On my mother’s side was Uncle Leo, her brother. Leo had polio at an early age and one leg was much shorter than the other, but he got around pretty well and didn’t seem to let it bother him much. He and my mother were close and he came to our house to eat quite often. He and my dad were also good buddies. Uncle Leo had a knack for fixing cars and he could fix most radios, as the first crude sets were coming out about that time. My dad got a used one and he would hook up the car battery to run it a couple times a week.
I liked Uncle Leo. He died in the early 1930’s from a broken appendix. My grandmother tells of him lying on the floor in pain and begging for a gun to shoot himself. He died shortly after that. There were no ambulances or paramedics at that time out in the farm area.Alvin E. Arnold Memoirs
Leo’s appendix ruptured on Monday, May 25, 1931 and he was rushed to Mercy Hospital in Manistee where surgery was performed. Leo passed away four days later of “Peritonitis with contributory Appendicitis ruptured 4 days” in Manistee, Manistee, MI, USA on Friday, May 29, 1931 at the age of 24.
Leo’s obituary lists him as a single, white, male farmer, born in Honor, MI, to Fred Balitz of Wisconsin and Mary Kucks of Ohio. Informed by Fred Balitz, Honor, MI.
From the local newspaper
Leo Balitz, son of Fred and Mary Balitz of Platte, passed away at the Manistee hospital Friday, May 29, 1931. Age, 24 years. Those beside his father and mother who mourn their loss is a sister, Mrs. Daniel Arnold [Tracie Balitz] of Platte [and a brother, Ernest Balitz of Toledo, OH]. The funeral was held Sunday, June 1 at the home. Rev. Ainslie of Honor conducted the service and the remains were laid to rest in the Platte cemetery.Local newspaper